west-bow-old-town-edinburgh

WIZARDS OF WEST BOW

The city’s historic West Bow is situated at the foot of Victoria Street. Legend has it that the street’s unusual name (Bow) evolved from ancient times when a bowman could reach the area from the ramparts of Edinburgh Castle with a well placed arrow. The property overlooks the ancient street, which predates Mary Queen of…

geddes garden grassmarket edinburgh

GEDDES GARDEN

Our Garden This was the name given by local children to the West Port Garden which opened in 1910. At the time the West Port was a cavernous street of soot-blackened tenements, running uphill from the Grassmarket. Inspiration came from pioneer ecologist Patrick Geddes whose vision was to create green spaces among the Old Town…